The Hashknife Ranch is a fourth generation family property with G.M.
“Dogie” Jones as the current owner and head of the family ranch.
Dogie’s Great Grandfather came to the Watrous
area in 1848. He worked as a scout for the US Calvary. A few years
later he purchased the Fort Barclay Trading Post on the Santa Fe
Trail. While as a merchant he purchased land and established the
ranch sometime in the 1860’s.
The current headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch,
“a beautiful two story house”, was built by Dogie's great grandfather
William Kronig in 1883. German stone masons added a distinctive
touch of flair to the home. It still stands very straight and sturdy
Dogie’s Grandmother, Fannie Kronig, was born
in the Fort Barclay Trading Post in 1856. Fannie met Frank M. Jones,
a civil engineer who was surveying the right of way west for the
Santa Fe Railroad. They were married in 1879.
father was a well known and successful rodeo judge, who travelled the major circuits
of his day. A sketch of him hangs in the Cowboy Hall of Fame.
took over the ranch in 1956. Warren Shoemaker, "a legendary
Quarter Horse breeder and AQHA Hall of Famer", had a big influence
on Dogie entering the Quarter Horse industry. His first stallion
was "Mister Cue" out of a Shoemaker mare by the name of
"Wyona Cue #58389".
has always been a cattle ranch. Now with the help of his son, Curtis,
Dogie runs Corriente cattle as well as Quarter Horses.
Fifth generation Curtis
is a working cowboy on the ranch. He's also an AI (artificial insemination)
Ranch Photo Gallery